Current:Home > reviewsSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:North Korea and Russia clash with US, South Korea and allies over Pyongyang’s latest missile launch -ProfitSphere Academy
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:North Korea and Russia clash with US, South Korea and allies over Pyongyang’s latest missile launch
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:49:22
UNITED NATIONS (AP) — North Korea and SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank CenterRussia clashed with the United States, South Korea and their allies at an emergency U.N. Security Council meeting Tuesday on Pyongyang’s latest intercontinental ballistic missile launch, which it called “a warning counter-measure” to threats from the U.S. and other hostile forces.
North Korean Ambassador Kim Song said this is “the most dangerous year” in the military-security landscape on the Korean Peninsula, pointing to stepped up U.S.-South Korean military exercises and the U.S. deployment of nuclear-powered submarines and other nuclear assets to the area that have raised a “nuclear war danger.”
The U.S. and nine allies pointed to five North Korean ICBM launches, over 25 ballistic missiles launches and three satellite launches using ballistic missile technology this year, violating multiple Security Council resolutions and threatening “the peace and stability of its neighbors and the international community.”
In a statement read just before the council meeting by U.S. deputy ambassador Robert Wood, surrounded by diplomats from the other countries, the 10 countries condemned the latest ICBM launch on Dec. 18 and all launches before it.
Kim urged the international community to think about North Korea’s security concerns, calling its counter-measures an “absolutely reasonable, normal and reflective response” in exercise of its legitimate right to self-defense.
He warned the U.S. and South Korea that if they continue “with their reckless and irresponsible military threat,” North Korea’s armed forces “will never remain an onlooker to it and the provokers will be held entirely responsible for all the consequences.”
North Korea will also “continue to build up its strategic power of a more advanced type to contain and control any threat from the U.S. and its followers with immediate, overwhelming and decisive counter-measures,” Kim warned.
The Security Council imposed sanctions after North Korea’s first nuclear test explosion in 2006 and tightened them over the years in a total of 10 resolutions seeking — so far unsuccessfully — to cut funds and curb its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
The last sanctions resolution was adopted by the council in December 2017. China and Russia vetoed a U.S.-sponsored resolution in May 2022 that would have imposed new sanctions over a spate of intercontinental ballistic missile launches. And the two veto-wielding council members have blocked any council action, including media statements, since then.
The 10 countries — Albania, Ecuador, France, Japan, Malta, South Korea, Slovenia, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States — said silence from the Security Council “sends the wrong message to Pyongyang and all proliferators.”
They urged North Korea to abandon its unlawful nuclear and ballistic missile programs, “and instead invest in feeding the people in North Korea” and engage in diplomacy. They also urged all Security Council members to overcome their prolonged silence and uphold the nuclear nonproliferation regime.
Russia’s deputy U.N. ambassador Anna Evstigneeva called attempts to condemn Pyongyang “a one-sided approach.”
She warned that the situation is escalating “to a dangerous brink,” pointing to both Pyongyang and Seoul justifying their hostile moves as self-defense. And she accused the United States of deploying its massive military machine in the region, saying this looks “more and more like preparations for an offensive operation,” even though the U.S. says it has no hostile intentions.
Evstigneeva said Russia again calls for a peaceful settlement of all issues on the Korean Peninsula through political and diplomatic means “without external pressure.”
Wood, the U.S. deputy ambassador, countered that U.S. military exercises are defensive and it’s North Korea that has violated U.N. Security Council resolutions — not South Korea, Japan or the U.S. And he said the United States has tried repeatedly to have an unconditional dialogue with Pyongyang but it has refused.
veryGood! (34333)
Related
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Cardi B Shares Painful Effects of Pregnancy With Baby No. 3
- TikTok unveils the songs of the summer, from 'Million Dollar Baby' to 'Not Like Us'
- Columbus Crew and LAFC will meet in Leagues Cup final after dominant semifinal wins
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Hacker tried to dodge child support by breaking into registry to fake his death, prosecutors say
- Florence Welch joins Taylor Swift on stage in Wembley
- Experts puzzle over why Bayesian yacht sank. Was it a 'black swan event'?
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- 2 Louisiana Supreme Court candidates disqualified, leaving 1 on the ballot
Ranking
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Bit Treasury Exchange: The Blockchain Pipe Dream
- Nebraska lawmakers pass bills to slow the rise of property taxes. Some are pushing to try harder.
- Meg Ryan Looks Glowing at Rare Red Carpet Appearance in Bosnia
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Rapper NBA Youngboy to plead guilty to Louisiana gun charge
- 5 takeaways from Day 3 of the DNC
- When is the first day of fall? What to know about the start of the autumnal season
Recommendation
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Court docs allege ex-NFL player urinated on plane passenger for 20 seconds, refused to depart flight
Ex-politician due to testify in his trial in killing of Las Vegas investigative journalist
ESPN tabs Mike Greenberg as Sam Ponder's replacement for 'NFL Sunday Countdown' show
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Richard Simmons' family speaks out on fitness icon's cause of death
UPS driver suffering from heat exhaustion 'passed out,' got into crash, Teamsters say
College town’s police say they don’t need help with cleanup after beer spill